This workshop is designed for classroom teachers who have ELL students. Kristina Smekens will focus on teaching PERSUASIVE writing to ELLs in this session. At this session participants will:
• Learn the overall skills associated with that type of writing.
• Drill down and identify the priority writing skills to emphasize and which ones to downplay with ELLs.
• Receive mini-lesson ideas for teaching the essential writing skills.
• Walk away with writing assignments appropriate for basic (Level 1) and advanced (Level 4) learners.
Date: Tuesday, January 9, 2018
Time: 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM (lunch on your own)
Location: Wabash Valley Education Center
President and lead consultant for Smekens Education, Kristina Smekens is a highly sought after speaker and author who has spent more than a dozen years supporting K-12 educators with on-site school trainings, regional seminars, and an always-growing pool of print, digital, and video resources.
Kristina is well known for offering innovative ideas, but also for the energetic and enthusiastic way in which she delivers every professional development session. A certified 6-Traits trainer, Kristina is the author of several books and resources including Launching the Writer’s Workshop: Grades K-2, Launching the Writer’s Workshop: Grades 3-12, Trait-Based Writing: Lessons and Activities, The Writing Parent Pack, and more.
Registration open through 1/7/2018 11:59 PM EST
WVEC CANCELLATION POLICY:
* Registrants who notify WVEC of their cancellation on or before the registration deadline date will not be required to pay the registration fee.
* Registrants who cancel after the registration deadline but before the workshop date or call to cancel on the day of the workshop will pay 50% of the registration fee.
* Registrants who neglect to call or notify the WVEC of their cancellation will be responsible for paying the full fee.
* On official school corporation weather-related cancellation days, registrants will not be required to pay registration fees.
*Cost of all workshops are based on membership in an Indiana ESC. Any registrants who are not members of an ESC in the state of Indiana will be required to pay the non-member fee of twice the amount of the workshop cost.