As an administrator, how can you support teachers who want to utilize research-based practices to facilitate the move from procedural understandings to conceptual understandings in the mathematics classroom? Support teachers in grades K-8 as they think about math as an inquiry-based study.
You'll leave with knowledge to:
• Recognize what math workshop looks and sounds like in K-8 classrooms
• Guide teachers in finding appropriate resources for curriculum planning and professional development in math workshop
• Think about policies and practices in your building that can support teachers in implementing best practices in math education (e.g., teacher evaluation rubrics)
Date: Wednesday, January 10, 2018
Time: 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM (Lunch is on your own)
Location: Wabash Valley Education Center
Courtney Flessner is a PhD candidate at Indiana University and an Associate Instructor at Indiana University-Indianapolis. She has taught every grade level from first through eighth grade, and she has served as an instructional coach and as a school administrator. She is currently examining the ways in which school leaders can create sustainable environments for successful teaching and learning in the area of elementary mathematics.
Registration open through 12/8/2017 11:59 AM EST
WVEC CANCELLATION POLICY:
* Registrants who notify WVEC of their cancellation on or before the registration deadline date will not be required to pay the registration fee.
* Registrants who cancel after the registration deadline but before the workshop date or call to cancel on the day of the workshop will pay 50% of the registration fee.
* Registrants who neglect to call or notify the WVEC of their cancellation will be responsible for paying the full fee.
* On official school corporation weather-related cancellation days, registrants will not be required to pay registration fees.
*Cost of all workshops are based on membership in an Indiana ESC. Any registrants who are not members of an ESC in the state of Indiana will be required to pay the non-member fee of twice the amount of the workshop cost.