In this workshop, participants will receive an introduction to several evidence-based strategies for integrating writing into any classroom regardless of discipline. Participants will evaluate each strategy in terms of its potential for enhancing student learning in their own disciplines and learn how to include writing tasks in and out of the classroom in a meaningful, purposeful, and time-efficient way.
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
• brainstorm assignment genres that match what they want students to learn in a course
• explain strategies for making assignment expectations clear for students and graders
• revise their feedback practices on writing assignments to be more effective for students and instructors
• identify ways of using peer review in their courses
• describe strategies for incorporating informal writing into in-class or online instruction
• identify areas for further professional development and avenues for doing so