STEM INSTITUTE OVERVIEW
The NYC Department of Education is committed to working with school leaders and teachers to build their capacity in, and develop a shared understanding of, high quality STEM education. The STEM Institutes serve to provide professional learning opportunities to schools in their efforts to identify and develop a STEM focused approach to learning that supports student achievement. The STEM Department of NYCDOE is excited to offer the 2018 Summer STEM Institute, for teacher teams of 2 to 3 educators and to administrators.
During the three-day Summer STEM Institute, which will take place from Tuesday, August 7th to Thursday, August 9th, 2018, teacher teams will have an opportunity to:
- Develop a shared understanding of the important features of STEM
- Deepen their understanding of an approaches to STEM education
- Build their leadership capacity to support and implement STEM education and instructional strategies within their school communities
- Build an ongoing theme-based collaborative community to support STEM Education
Offerings will include hands-on, interactive sessions in robotics, computer science, urban gardening, engineering, solar energy, design thinking and more. Eligible teachers and supervisors who attend the full Institute will receive 15 hours of per session and will also receive CTLE credit. Teachers review Vacancy Circular #430. Supervisors review Vacancy Circular #429.
Please note: This is a paid professional development opportunity. We do not offer childcare, and children will not be allowed at the Institute.
Registration Closes: 6/27/2018 10:30 AM
STEM INSTITUTE Courses
All professional learning opportunities encompass three days of training at the Spring STEM Institute. By selecting one of these sessions you are committing to attending the full professional learning offering at the STEM Institute on August 7th through August 9th.
Instructions to register for a course:
- Before beginning your registration, review the catalog of programs available to decide which course you will register for.
- Select only a course that is appropriate to the grade level(s) that you teach. (e.g teachers of elementary students should not register for a course that is identified as a course for teachers of high school students. If you register for a course not identified as appropriate to the grade level you teach, your registration will be cancelled.)
- All participants are expected to bring a laptop or tablet that they will use during the program.
- Review the special requirements for the course you select. Make sure that you will be able to fulfill the specific requirements of that course. Please note that some programs, as identified within the catalog will take place at off-site locations, while other programs will require specific equipment, such as those that specifically identify the need for an iPad.
- Please know that your registration is not finalized until your supervisor, principal or superintendent has approved your participation in the institute, as we will reach out to confirm their approval of your attendance. Verify the correct email address for the superintendent, principal, or supervisor you indicate as your approver before completing your registration.
- Please note: As this is a paid professional development opportunity and we do not offer childcare, we ask that you please do not bring children to the institute.
Registration Note: Though you will initially receive a confirmation of your online registration, this confirmation does not constitute acceptance into the institute. Final confirmations will only be sent once we have reviewed your registration details and have received your supervisor's, principal's or superintendent's approval for you to participate in this program. Also, your registration will be cancelled if it is not approved by your supervisor within 2 weeks of your submission.