Friday, August 14, 2020 from 8AM - 12PM
Course Description: This course is designed for dentists or physicians with previous training in minimal, moderate and/or deep sedation. The course will provide a review and update in the following areas:
1. Overview of ADA guidelines for Minimal/Moderate/Deep Sedation
2. Monitoring and training required for Minimal/Moderate/Deep Sedation
3. Documentation required during Minimal/Moderate/Deep Sedation
4. Pharmacology of medications used in Minimal /Moderate/Deep Sedation Sedative/hypnotics Opioids
5. Pharmacology of medications used adjunctively in Minimal /Moderate/Deep Sedation: Anti-emetics, NSAIDs, Corticosteroids, Antibiotic prophylaxis
6. Mechanisms of Drug Interactions common during Minimal /Moderate/Deep Sedation
7. Risk assessment for Sedation
8. Medical conditions and their impact on techniques for Minimal /Moderate/Deep Sedation
9. Complications of Minimal /Moderate/Deep Sedation
10. Managing complications of Minimal /Moderate/Deep Sedation
11. Case studies of problem patients; an Open Forum
12. SimLab for Simulation of Medical Emergencies including Airway Management.
Participants will have an opportunity to discuss problems they have encountered with various techniques and patients so potential solutions can be presented.
Dr. Patrick Louis, coursemaster, is a professor of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and director of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency Training Program. He is a diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and holds joint appointments in the Schools of Dentistry and Medicine. Dr. Louis is currently the Medical Emergency Officer for the School of Dentistry. He has served as a consultant to the Alabama Board of Dental Examiners, performing office evaluations for the conscious sedation and general anesthesia licensure. He has also served as commissioner for the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA). Dr. Louis has authored numerous articles in peer-reviewed journals and book chapters.
Pamela J. Sims, Pharm.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Sims earned her B.S. Pharmacy from the University of Florida, her Doctor of Pharmacy degree from Mercer University and her Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences from the University of Colorado at Boulder.
Dr. Sims recently retired as Professor of Pharmacokinetics in the Department of Pharmaceutical, Social and Administrative Sciences at Samford University McWhorter School of Pharmacy (SUMSOP) where she also coordinated and lectured in pharmacology courses for the Nurse Anesthesia, Nurse Practitioner and Physical Therapy programs.
Dr. Sims holds a faculty appointment in the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Dentistry Department of Pediatrics where she provides lectures in Pharmacology to the Post-doctoral Dental Residents and has provided courses to the residents and the Part II Board Review in Pharmacology to D4 students as well as lectures to D3 and D4 students.
4 CE Credits
Registration open through 8/13/2020 10:59 PM EST
Dentist- Friday $300
Auxiliary - Friday $125
After August 7th, tuition increases by $25.