Coronal Polishing for the Dental Auxiliary
Course Director: Michael J. Metz, DMD, MSD, MS, MBA
Course Instructors: ULSD Faculty and Staff
Saturday, June 21, 2014
LOCATION: University of Louisville School of Dentistry - 501 South Preston Street
Louisville, KY 40202
This course will be defined by the Kentucky Board of Dentistry’s amended educational requirements for dental auxiliary personnel who will qualify for a Certificate in Coronal Polishing under a dentist’s direct supervision [KRS 313.045 (6)]. This course consists of both Didactic and Practical components.
1. Didactic - Lecture: This will be verified by written exam per guidelines of the Kentucky Board of Dentistry.
2. Practical - Pre-clinical/Clinical: This will be verified by faculty demonstrations and evaluation of participants at the teaching institution with follow-up per Section 5 of KRS 313.045 (6).
3. Practical - Clinical Component: Follow up of five (5) Evaluations of the Practical Clinical Component in the participant's dental office must be returned within a maximum of 60 days from the date of course completion. Once received, certificates will be issued.
Successful completion of the course requires a 75% pass in a multiple-choice question examination as well as in the pre-clinical and clinical portions. Participants who successfully complete the examination and all required post-course requirements as mandated by the Kentucky Board of Dentistry will receive a Certificate of Completion as part of the required training in Coronal Polishing. A one-year mandatory dental office experience is required within the last three years along with this course to qualify as a “Registered Dental Assistant”. Failure to pass course will result in one opportunity to re-take the entire course @ 50% reduction of current course fee within one year.
Upon completion of this course, participants should have an understanding of:
1. Overview of the dental team
2. Dental ethics, jurisprudence and the legal understanding of procedures allowed by each dental team member
3. Management of patient records, maintenance of privacy and completion of proper charting
4. Infection control, universal precaution and transfer of disease
5. Personal protective equipment and overview of Occupational Safety and Health Administration requirements
6. Definition of plaque, types of stain, calculus, and related terminology and topics
7. Dental tissue surrounding the teeth and dental anatomy and nomenclature
8. Ergonomics of proper positioning of patient and dental assistant
9. General principles of dental instrumentation
10. Rational of performing coronal polishing
11. Abrasive agents
12. Coronal polishing armamentarium
13. Warnings of trauma which can be caused by improper techniques in polishing
14. Clinical competency in a clinical dental setting as set forth in Section 3.2Q of KRS 313.045 (6)
1. Minimum One-Year of clinical chair-side assistance experience is required for course participation. Experience may be substituted with successful completion of a Dental Assisting Program.
2. Provide with registration letter of recommendation from sponsoring dentist including verification of employment and length of chair-side assistance training. If experience is substituted by Dental Assisting School, please provide copy of certificate with letter.
3. Provide with registration copy of current CPR card, front and back.
Professional office scrubs, closed-toed shoes and protective eyewear.
About Michael J. Metz, DMD, MSD, MS, MBA:
Dr. Metz was born and raised in Louisville, Kentucky. He attended the University of Louisville Health Science Center and earned his baccalaureate (BA) degree in biology (1996). Soon after he graduated, he gained admission to the University of Louisville Dental School earning his doctorate in medical dentistry (DMD) degree in May (2000). Dr. Metz was then commissioned as an Officer in the United States Navy Dental Corps upon graduating from dental school.
Dr. Metz executed military orders to Naval Dental Center Virginia, 3rd Dental Battalion Japan, Indiana University School of Dentistry and Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island. During his time on active duty, Dr. Metz earned master degrees in business administration, operative dentistry and clinical research, certificates in both operative dentistry and preventive dentistry, and completed all requirements to achieve board certified status through the American Board of Operative Dentistry.
After ten years of military service, Dr. Metz joined the University of Louisville School of Dentistry in June 2010 as a full time assistant professor in the department of general dentistry and oral medicine. He recently accepted appointments as acting Vice-Chair for the department of general dentistry and oral medicine, director of clinical operative dentistry, director of laboratory quality assurance, co-director clinical treatment planning, and course director for two courses in the department of continuing dental education (EDDA/DADD and Coronal Polishing). Dr. Metz is an active course lecturer within the DMD curriculum and oversees patient clinical care in the DMD clinics. He is actively engaged in community service programs to provide screenings and dental treatment for underserved populations in the surrounding Kentuckiana communities. Dr. Metz holds an active appointment as an examiner for American Board of Operative Dentistry and actively serves on the editorial board for the Journal of Dental Education, Journal of Dental Materials and Journal of Operative Dentistry. Dr. Metz has active memberships in the Academy of Operative Dentistry (AOD), American Board of Operative Dentistry (ABOD), American Dental Association (ADA), American Dental Education Association (ADEA) and American Association for Dental Research (AADR).
All University of Louisville School of Dentistry Faculty are licensed practitioners in the Commonwealth of Kentucky and have no relevant financial relationship to disclose pertaining to this course.
Lecture and Hands On: CEU(s) - 8
Education Method: Live Interactive Format
Sign-In: 7:30 AM - 8:00 AM
Course: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
||On-Line Registration by 6/18/2014 11:59 PM
Register On-Line: (American Express, Discover, Mastercard or VISA only)
We reserve the right to cancel, modify date, course content, program faculty and activities to accommodate scheduling conflicts. Pre-registered participants will be notified if a course will not be presented should circumstances warrant such action. In the event a course is cancelled, tuition will be refunded.
All registrations are subject to the ULSD cancellation policy.
This is a 'limited' attendance course.
ULSD must receive your written request for cancellation not later than four weeks prior to course start date to process a refund. A $75 processing fee will be deducted from the refund. Course Registrants who are a 'NO-SHOW' forfeit course tuition.
[Click here for directions]
[Click to view Hotels Downtown Louisville]