Radiographic Technique for the Dental Auxiliary
*As defined by the Kentucky Board of Dentistry
This course satisfies Part 2 of the Dental Assisting Radiation Safety Certification Requirement for the Kentucky Board of Dentistry.
Course Instructor: Susan W. Grammer, BS, RDH, MEd
Event Date: Tuesday, June 18, 2013
LOCATION: University of Louisville School of Dentistry - 501 South Preston Street
Louisville, KY 40202
Radiology Clinic - First Floor
The Kentucky Board of Dentistry amended the minimal educational requirements for dental auxiliary personnel prior to taking dental radiographs under a dentist’s direct supervision (201 KAR 8:57OE). All dental auxiliary personnel must satisfy the following two (2) requirements before taking x-rays in a dental office:
1. Didactic: Completion of a course in Radiation Safety: This can be verified by providing proof of completion of the Radiography Section of the Dental Assistants National Board Examination or attending an approved continuing education (CE) course (6 hours minimum) provided by a certified presenter.
2. Practical: A practicum course in x-ray technique (4 hours minimum).This is verified by a dentist’s written documentation of a student’s completion of four (4) hours of instruction in dental radiography technique in the practice or by attending a four hour (4) continuing education course in radiography technique approved by the Board before being allowed to expose radiographs. A copy of the Technique Training Form must be returned within a maximum of 60 days from the date of course completion to the Office of Continuing Education. Once received, a Certificate of Course Completion will be issued. Non-compliance will result in an automatic failure. Failure to pass course will result in one opportunity to re-take the entire course @ 50% reduction of current course fee within one year.
This Course Satisfies Part 2 of the Dental Assistant Radiation Safety Certification requirement for the Kentucky Board of Dentistry. This involves a four (4) hour instructional session consisting of training on a manikin learning bisecting and paralleling techniques for taking periapical and bitewing radiographs and a training video for proper positioning of a patient while taking a panoramic radiograph.
Successful completion of the course requires a 75% pass in a multiple-choice question examination administered at the end of the course. Participants who successfully complete the examination MUST have fulfilled requirements 1 and 2 above prior to exposing radiographs on patients under the direct supervision of a dentist.
At the completion of this course students will be able to::
• Explain the principles of paralleleing and bisecting angle techniques.
• Apply principles of radiation biology with current radiation standards for dental personnel.
• Evaluate the quality of periapical, bitewing and panoramic radiographs.
• Explain how to set up and troubleshoot when taking digital images.
• Evaluate risks and benefits of a radiographic procedure.
• Extraoral radiography
About Susan W. Grammer, BS, RDH, MEd:
Ms. Grammer graduated from the Dental Hygiene Program at the University of Louisville School of Dentistry. She received her Master’s in Education and taught at the University of Kentucky in an experimental Dental Hygiene Program that was based in Ashland Kentucky for one year. After which, she accepted a teaching position at the University of Louisville School of Dentistry in the Expanded Duty Dental Assisting Program.
Presently, Ms. Grammer is an Associate Professor in the Department of Oral Health and Rehabilitation/Dental Hygiene Program at the University of Louisville School of Dentistry. She presently teaches all radiology courses in the Dental Hygiene Program, as well as, the first year theory classes and has given numerous continuing education courses in Radiation Safety. For the last 9 years, she was the Course Director for an elective course that was co-sponsored with the Louisville Zoo on animal dentistry.
Lecture and Hands On: CEU(s) - 4
Education Method: Live Interactive Format
[Click here for directions]
On-Site Registration/Sign in: 8:30 AM - 9:00 AM
Course: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
||On-Line Registration by 6/18/2013 11:59 PM
||On-Site Registration Not Available 6/18/2013 11:59 PM
Register On-Line: (MasterCard or VISA Only)
****Payment by Check or Money Order available for on-site registration only****
We reserve the right to cancel, modify date, revise course content, revise program faculty and activities. Pre-registered participants will be notified if a course is revised or cancelled, as warranted. In the event a course is cancelled, tuition will be refunded.
All registrations are subject to the ULSD Cancellation Policy.
This is a 'limited' attendance course.
ULSD must receive your written request for cancellation not later than four weeks prior to course start date to process a refund. A $75 processing fee will be deducted from the refund. Course Registrants who are a 'NO-SHOW' forfeit course tuition.
[Click to view Hotels Downtown Louisville]