Radiation Safety for the Dental Auxiliary
Course Instructor: Susan W. Grammer, BS, RDH, MEd
Event Date: Friday, January 18, 2013
LOCATION: U of L Shelby Campus Founder's Union Building - 312 North Whittington Parkway
Louisville, KY 40223
(If using GPS, please use 9001 Shelbyville Road, Louisville, KY 40222)
The Kentucky Board of Dentistry amended the minimal educational requirements for dental auxiliary personnel prior to taking dental radiographs under a dentist’s direct supervision (201 KAR 8:57OE). All dental auxiliary personnel must satisfy the following two (2) requirements before taking x-rays in a dental office:
1. Didactic: Completion of a course in Radiation Safety: This can be verified by providing proof of completion of the Radiography Section of the Dental Assistants National Board Examination or attending an approved continuing education (CE) course (6 hours minimum) provided by a certified presenter.
2. Practical: A practicum course in x-ray technique (4 hours minimum).This is verified by a dentist’s written documentation of a student’s completion of four (4) hours of instruction in dental radiography technique in the practice or by attending a four hour (4) continuing education course in radiography technique approved by the Board before being allowed to expose radiographs. A copy of the Technique Training Form must be returned within a maximum of 60 days from the date of course completion to the Office of Continuing Education. Once received, a certificate will be issued.
This Course satisfies the Didactic requirements of the Kentucky Board of Dentistry. After the course is presented, an examination will be given. Successful completion of the course requires a 75% pass in a multiple-choice question examination administered at the end of the course. Participants who successfully complete the examination will receive a certificate of completion and after fulfilling requirement (2) above are allowed to expose radiographs on patients under the direct supervision of a dentist. Study guides for this course will be given the day of the Course. The course contains both theoretical and practical clinical topics to include the following objectives:
At the conclusion of this Course, participants will have an understanding of:
• The basic principles and concepts of radiation.
• Exposure factors & how they affect the radiographic image.
• Image receptors & processing.
• X-ray interaction with matter and potential biological effects.
• Principles of intraoral techniques(BW/Periapical/Occlusal Imaging).
• Radiation safety for patient and operator.
• Criteria for diagnostic radiographs-technique & processing error recognition & correction.
• Radiographic film mounting, labeling & record keeping.
• Principles of quality assurance and implementation into clinical practice.
• Occupational considerations including: infection control principles & legal concerns
• Extraoral radiography
About Susan W. Grammer, BS, RDH, MEd:
Ms. Grammer graduated from the Dental Hygiene Program at the University of Louisville School of Dentistry. She received her Master’s in Education and taught at the University of Kentucky in an experimental Dental Hygiene Program that was based in Ashland Kentucky for one year. After which, she accepted a teaching position at the University of Louisville School of Dentistry in the Expanded Duty Dental Assisting Program.
Presently, Ms. Grammer is an Associate Professor in the Department of Oral Health and Rehabilitation/Dental Hygiene Program at the University of Louisville School of Dentistry. She presently teaches all radiology courses in the Dental Hygiene Program, as well as, the first year theory classes and has given numerous continuing education courses in Radiation Safety. For the last 9 years, she was the Course Director for an elective course that was co-sponsored with the Louisville Zoo on animal dentistry.
Lecture: CEU(s) - 6
Education Method: Live Interactive Format
[Click here for directions]
On-Site Registration/Sign in: 8:30 AM - 9:00 AM
Course: 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM
||On-Line by 1/15/2013 11:59 PM
||On-Site Registration after 1/15/2013 11:59 PM
|Hygienist/Auxiliary w/ Dentist:
Register On-Line: (MasterCard, VISA, Check or Money Order)
****If paying by Check or Money Order, registration is not guaranteed until payment is received. Payment must be received no later than one week prior to the event date****
We reserve the right to cancel, modify date, revise course content, revise program faculty and activities. Pre-registered participants will be notified if a course is revised or cancelled, as warranted. In the event a course is cancelled, tuition will be refunded.
All registrations are subject to the ULSD Cancellation Policy.
This is a 'non-limited' attendance course.
ULSD must receive your written request for cancellation not later than four weeks prior to course start date to process a refund. A $75 processing fee will be deducted from the refund. Course Registrants who are a 'NO-SHOW' forfeit course tuition.
[Click to view U of L Shelby Campus area Hotels]