Over a decade ago, about 75 enthusiastic CERT volunteers came out to the Evergreen State Fairgrounds in Monroe, Snohomish County, for the day. That memorable day, in 2003, was the first CERT Expo. The CERT Expo evolved to include continuing education sessions in the morning and participation by volunteers in a disaster exercise in the afternoon. In 2005, the CERT Expo expanded and moved to the Everett Community College. Our intrepid volunteers spread the word about the Expo and, in 2007, the Expo moved to the Washington State Fire Training Academy, in North Bend, to accommodate the growing participation of CERT volunteers from across the state. Children’s Hospital and the State Citizen Corps joined us as partners, which allowed us to extend our offerings. The focus was on skill refreshers through training and disaster exercises.
Since 2008, the Expo has expanded to include Citizen Corps partners and affiliates from across the Northwest: including participants from Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Canada. Each year, with the help of our sponsors, partners, volunteers and staff, we train hundreds of disaster response volunteers on key emergency response skills, preparing them to assist when the need arises in their own communities. By 2010, over 200 people were actively training and participating in the Expo.
The need for emergency preparedness has been front and center in the news with the SR-530 mudslide, wildfires and flooding and the threat of tsunamis and a Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake. Changing weather patterns increase the risk for extreme weather events and, no matter where we live, natural disasters can strike at any time.
True to the calling to community service, our numbers continue to grow. We expect more volunteers from all over the West and Northwest to participate this year!
***READ THE BELOW INSTRUCTIONS FIRST BEFORE PROCEEDING TO REGISTERING FOR ANY SESSIONS***
Day 1: Friday, August 3, 2018
11:00 AM-12:00 PM: Registration/Light Refreshments/Vendors (No Registration Necessary)
(No lunch provided)
12:00 PM-2:00 PM: Session 1 (Select ONE event from the category below)
2:00 PM-2:30 PM: Break/Vendors
2:30 PM-4:30 PM: Session 2 (Select ONE event from the category below)
5:30 PM-7:30 PM: Networking Social (Select from the category below)
Day 2: Saturday, August 4, 2018
7:00 AM-7:45 AM: Registration/Light Refreshments/Vendors (No Registration Necessary)
(No breakfast provided)
7:45 AM-8:45 AM: Whole Community Resiliency/Keynote Speaker and Panel (Select from the category below)
9:00 AM-10:30 AM: Session 1 (Select ONE event from the category below)
11:30 AM-12:30 PM: Session 2 (Select ONE event from the category below)
12:30 PM-1:15 PM: Lunch (You must register for lunch)
1:15 PM-3:45 PM: Exercise (Select from the category below)
1. Use the drop down menu under the header titled 'Category' to select the category, then click 'View Events'
2. You may select only 1 event per category/session.
Example: If you want to attend Stop The Bleed on August 3, 2018 at 12:00 PM, you would register for that session. You would not register for Stop The Bleed on August 3, 2018 at 2:30 PM.
2. Please register for the Networking Social if you plan on attending. This will help us determine food quantity requirements. Choose the Networking Social from the drop down menu under the header titled 'Category'
3. Please register for the Exercise if you plan on attending. Select Exercise from the drop down list of categories.
4. You must register for the luncheon if you plan on eating. Select Lunch from the drop down list of categories.
5. You will be required to pay the registration fee for this Expo. The fee is $20.00 and covers all sessions of the Expo, lunch, networking social and the exercise. This is a 1 time fee and you will need to submit your payment through Pay Pal. A link to submit your payment is included below:
Pay for my Citizen Corps CERT Expo Attendance
6. You will be required to complete the following two forms and turn them in to the staff at the registration desk at the Expo.
CERT Participation Agreement
Temporary Emergency Worker Registration Card
Contact the event manager below for any questions!
Citizen Corps & CERT Program Coordinator
302 Sid Snyder Ave SW
Suite 140, MS 43113
Olympia WA 98504-3113
(360) 725-5290 (o)
(360) 701-0208 (c)